Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 30, 2011 (Thanksgiving, pool, and haircut)


  Sunday, we had Thanksgiving dinner.  Adrianne, Nathan, and a bunch of Dad's coworkers came over, and Adrianne and Nathan also brought along their camera.  Their really nice Canon camera that takes really good pictures. . . I had a lot of fun. This is our table all decorated.




I discovered I really like pecan pie, and this one was huge, from Mug & Bean.
We hiked out into the nature reserve and this is what our house looks like from a distance.
Francina and Lotta, our housekeeper and her son.  Lotta is 18 months old, and he's a big boy, always ready with a smile, and he loves banging on things.  Yesterday, we turned the metal dog bowls upside down and gave him chopsticks, and he had a blast.
The crowd of people we had at our house.  There were 25 people eating, and we didn't fit at our table, which is very small compared to the octagonal table we had back home, at which we could sit 22 people (I think), so we all spread out around the house
 Prayer out on our deck
Lotta and Esther
 I had a nice camera and an abundance of little kids (four, to be exact) and of course I had to take pictures of them.  This is one of my favorites, of little Bella.
 Our oven, also compared to our big double oven back home, is small, and so were the turkeys.  We cooked up four turkeys, two of them in the oven, and two on the griddle.  Grilled turkey - a new South African Thanksgiving tradition?



After the rainstorm of last week, the pool turned from grass green to muddy brown because of all the dirt that got dumped in.  We gave up with trying to fix the water, and just drained it, and this is what was at the bottom.  Blechh.








Every day at school I'm required to wear my hair up - it can be in a braid, in a ponytail, anything as long as it's up.  I have really, really thick hair, so this pulled on my scalp and gave me not-so-nice headaches, but in the afternoons it was often too hot to take it down.  So I compromised and cut my hair.  It's shoulder length, much lighter, and nearly to short to put in a pony, but not quite.  It was somewhat last minute - Jessica Otter's grandmother is a hairstylist, and I went over to Jess's house today.  Mrs. Otter offered to take me to get my hair cut, and I took the offer.




Exams are done!  

4 comments:

  1. AAACCCKKKK! Who is that very mature looking young woman in that photo? My, what a beauty! I love your hair short. Very pretty on you. We love reading this blog, Sara....keep it up. Thanksgiving looked like a ton of fun. We have some of our most favorite holiday memories from when we lived in small apartments, but had huge crowds. Everyone finds a space and it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Sara. Thanks for shaing. It's good to see where and how you're living. I know Grandpa Jerry will enjoy them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara
    We are back in Maryland, transitioning from lazy lake living to a busier schedule in Braddock. We LOVED all your photos from Thanksgiving - and why am I not surprised you had a house full of company!! The famous Derr hospitality is alive and well in S.A. Grandpa and I love your hair cut! Love and hugs to all!
    Grandma Joy

    ReplyDelete